tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 09 10:07:13 1999

Re: jIghIQta' / KLBC

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:28:13 -0800 Pillow <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Andeen, Eric" wrote:
>
> > ja' DloraH:
> >
> > > jIchegh (qaStaHvIS wa' Hogh jIghIQ 'e' Daqaw'a'?)
> > > wanI' vItIvqu'
> >
> > jatlh pIl'o':
> >
> > DloraH, yIqIm:
> > > lenglIj  DataHta'mo'  'e'  qaHoy'.
> >
> > 'oy'.
> >
> > None of the meanings of <taH> make sense here. I suspect you meant <ta'>.
> > You also meant just <qaHoy'> rather than <'e' qaHoy'>, yes?
>
> I mean to say [I congratulate you because you endured your trip]
> why does <taH> as in "survive/endure" not work here?
>            lenglIj DataHta'mo'  'ej  qaHoy'.     <does this work?
>                                                                     pIl'o'

Most would likely favor {SIQ} for that. You have misquoted the
definition slightly, and since both {taH} and {SIQ} have the
"endure" meaning, we tend to look at the differences in these
definitions to see if the different English meanings of
"endure" are separated out by these accompanying Klingon
definitions. {taH} has "continue, go on, survive" (which
generally don't sound like something requiring a direct
object) while {SIQ} does not. {SIQ} has "bear" (which
generally does require a direct object) while {taH} does not.

While there is no certainty about this, I suspect that many of
us tend to think of {SIQ} having a direct object, while {taH}
tends not to. So, if you endure something, most of us favor
{SIQ}. That's an observation, not a prescription. We may very
well be wrong about this.

All the canon examples I can think of with {taH} have no direct
object. I'm pretty sure {SIQ} has been used with direct objects.
voragh?

Anyway, whether we are right or not, likely we would have
understood you had you used {SIQ}, or we would have understood:

bIghIQta'. bIchegh. bItaHmo' qaHoy'.

Again, that's just one person's spin on it.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level