tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 08 05:21:11 1999

'op

ja'pu' Quvar muHwI':
>juHwIjDaq vIje'.
>Soj law' poQbe' qaghmey.
>yap 'op pormey.

ja' peHruS:
>qaghvetlh ngev 'Iv?

bIyajHa'.  qIDtaH muHwI'.  cha' qech ghajlaH <je'>.
qagh je'meH, bIHvaD por jab.  Huch nobbe'.  ngev pagh.

>qagh vutmeH pormey lo''a' vay'?  'Iv?

ghobe'.  qagh je'meH pormey lo'.

>And, do you use only "some of" the leaves?  I think {'op} does not mean "I
>use some leaves.  Experts, help me out here.

KGT defines {'op} thusly:  "some, an unknown or unspecified quantity (n)"
{'op pormey} certainly does mean "some leaves".  It might or might not be
okay to translate it as "some of"; I'd tend to avoid it, myself.

The examples are a bit fuzzy in this area.  For example, Skybox S7 says, in
part: {...DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law'
po' puS.}

The closest thing to a literal translation I can come up with is this:
"Some warriors which one finds on this ship are more skilled than the
many Klingon fleet warriors."

The relevant part of the English text on the card is "It has...some of
the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet."  The translation is obviously
not a direct one -- there *is* no direct translation for a {law'/puS} --
so I don't know exactly where the "some of" phrase comes from.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level