tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 31 16:29:20 1999

Re: Hoch

ja'pu' pagh:
><Hoch> placed after a noun means "All of X; the entirety of X".

ja' Lily Ng:
>Where is this stated?

ja' SuStel:
>It isn't.

It isn't stated in exactly those words, but it's presented in a clear
and unambiguous example, with detailed supporting translation.

>It's an inference which I and others have put forward, which
>seems to fit the facts.  We have an example from one of the SkyBox cards
>(perhaps someone could cite the card number) of, I believe, {cha'maH wejDIch
>vatlh DIS poH HochHom} for "Most of the 23rd century."  {HochHom} following
>the noun apparently means "most of <noun>."  An obvious extension of this,
>therefore, is that {<noun> Hoch} means "all of <noun>," where we are
>referring to the entirety of a singular thing.

It's such an obvious extension, in fact, that Okrand himself uses it this
way in _Klingon for the Galactic Traveler_.

>I was going to say something when pagh said this, but I let it go by.
>Clearly this was a mistake.  It isn't an "official" rule.  It is what I
>consider to be the most likely rule.

No mistake, SuStel.  It's about as official as it gets.  KGT page 155:

  nIn Hoch natlhlu'pu' ("All the fuel has been consumed")
  nIn Hoch ("all the fuel")

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level