tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 29 17:02:33 1999

Re: KLBC: Undoubtedly continue to..

jatlh charghwI':
> Speaking of ambiguity, the thing I've been pondering on lately
> is that since Okrand has recently given us a method of
> distinguishing between the location where the action of a verb
> of motion happens and the location of its destination, what
> about other verbs that sometimes involve more than one location,
> though they do not involve motion?
>
> In other words:
>
> 1. tachDaq jIjaH. I'm in the bar and I'm going.
> 2. tachDaq vIjaH. I'm going toward the bar.
> 3. tach vIjaH. Same as #2.
>
> But what about:
>
> Qe'Daq Qanqor vIlegh.
>
> Am I in the bar seeing Krankor, or am I seeing Krankor while he
> is in the bar?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I will point out that when we
first learned of the {-Daq vI<verb>} (etc.) rules in the interview, you were
adamant in refusing to let me speculate on what this may mean about the
broader applications of {-Daq}, etc.  You insisted that these rules only
applied to those specific verbs that Okrand mentioned, and could not be used
with any verbs not mentioned by Okrand.  Have you changed your mind?

Personally, though it's an interesting concept, I think it may be too much
hair-splitting to worry about it (gads, I'm starting to sound like
Krankor!).  English can be equally ambiguous: "I see Krankor in the bar."  I
might be seeing Krankor while I am in the bar, or I might be seeing Krankor
while he is in the bar.  Most people will understand what you meant.

And consider another possibility: perhaps all verbs with locatives have this
ambiguity, EXCEPT for the ones specifically mentioned by Okrand in the
interview.  Thus, {Qe'Daq Qanqor vIlegh} is ambiguous as to who is where,
but {Qe'Daq jIjaH} is not.

> Obviously, someone will disagree, simply because I said it. Why
> not? Things have gotten a little dead around here, anyway, right.

wejpuH.

SuStel
Stardate 99827.1

Back to archive top level