tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 29 14:18:03 1999

Re: HolQeD and KLBC

ja' pagh:
> The prefix table is probably the single most intimidating thing about
> Klingon when you first get hold of it, but it's actually pretty simple.

it helped me, do spell it out completely with examples
like below...

> Every verb in Klingon has to have an appropriate prefix based on its subject
> and object. The subject is the noun that does the action of the verb, and in
> a Klingon sentence it goes after the verb. The object is the thing to which
> the action is done, and it goes before the verb.

of course, if you don't have a clear picture of the terms
"subject" and "object", it will take some time to get used to
applying this ...

maybe this is a very old-fashioned and/or very German method
of learning, but I basically learned the prefixes by learning
the whole mantra for a couple of verbs. I soon memorized them...

e.g. memorize

jIQong - I sleep
bIQong - you sleep
Qong - he, she, it sleeps
maQong - we sleep
SuQong - y'all sleep
Qong - they sleep

then memorize

jIHegh - I die
bIHegh - you die
Hegh - he, she, it dies
maHegh - we die
SuHegh - y'all die
Hegh - they die

do this for a couple more verbs and you're ready for

vIHoH - I kill him, her, it
DaHoH - you kill him, her, it
HoH - he she, it kills him, her, it
wIHoH - we kill him, her, it