tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 10 17:11:06 1999

Re: Mu'mey chu'

I say he HAS used {-qu'} to mean "too much."  However, there's a distinction
to be made.  {-qu'} does not have a GRAMMATICAL meaning of "too much."
However, a sentence might gain a "too much" meaning with the addition of
{-qu'}.  It's all to do with the semantics and context of the sentence.

I might translate {tujqu'choH QuQ} as "The engines are superheating."  More
literally, this still means "The engines become very hot."  However, while
"superheating" does not inherently mean "too much" (you can superheat
materials, and they're not heated too much), the sentence "The engines are
superheating" DOES mean the engines are getting too hot.  It's all about
context.

My own opinion is not to go and say "This is what Okrand REALLY meant,"
because it's clear that Okrand didn't really mean it until he came up with
the new word.  Rather, it's more useful to remember that we (including
Okrand) know this NOW, and not to revise every sentence that's come out.  If
nothing else, it makes the newbies think that we're not willing to admit we
were wrong!

SuStel
Stardate 99775.2