tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 10 09:43:26 1999

Re: Mu'mey chu'

charghwI' wrote:

: The following is NOT intended to replace HolQeD as a source of
: definitions for these words. For anyone who doesn't have
: HolQeD, it is better for you to get it and read Okrand's
: extended descriptions of these words. I'm definitely
: interpreting and abbreviating these descriptions here.

Qu'vatlh!  I still haven't received the last HolQeD.  Monday is a postal
holiday here in the U.S., so I'll probably get it sometime next week.
Could I persuade you (or someone else) to post some of Okrand's example
sentences illustrating a couple of the new words in context?

The words for "lid" (yuvtlhe'), "top" (yor & 'aqroS) and "bottom" (bIS'ub &
pIrmuS) are self-explanatory.  From analogy to {ben}/{nem} and {Hu'}/{leS}
I know how {pIq}/{ret} and {waQ}/{wen} work.

: ghal - be jealous (of), envy (v) Examples show it used both with
: and without a direct object. That implies that you cannot use it
: adjectivally. Use {-bogh} for that.

Seems pretty straitforward.

: ghIq - then, subsequently (adv). Note that this is not a
: conjunction, though you can use it in conjunction with a
: conjunction [grin]. You can't join sentences with it alone. Use
: it like any other adverbial. It only refers to the sequential
: sense of "then".

A sequential "then" is something we've needed to supplement {-DI'}.
Examples of {ghIq} would be helpful though.  How is it different from {vaj}
in context?  We know that {vaj} is used in "if...then" statements when the
"then" clause is a consequence or result of the "if" clause -- e.g.
{bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh}.

: tlhoy - overly, to an excessive degree, excessively, too much
: (adv) Note that this modifies the VERB and not any NOUN of a
: sentence. It refers to an action that is excessive and not that
: the action involves too many or too much of a noun. See {'Iq}.

Now this one is confusing.  How is {tlhoy} different from the emphatic
suffix {-qu'}, which Okrand has occasionally used in the sense of "too much"?

  tera'nganvaD romuluS HIq jabQo'.  HoSghajqu'.
  They won't serve Romulan ale to Terrans.  Too potent. (CK)

I guess translating this last as "It's very strong/awfully potent" doesn't
change the underlying thought.  How would you use {tlhoy} here?

: 'Iq - be too many, be too much (v) Examples show it used adjectivally.

I think I understand this one: it's used with nouns, similar to {law'} and
{puS}, right?

  'Iwchab 'Iq vISoppu'mo' jIrop.
  I'm sick because I've eaten too many blood pies.

  'Iw HIq 'Iq Datlhutlhchugh bIchechchoH.
  If you drink too much bloodwine you'll get drunk.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level