tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 28 10:57:29 1999

Re: cardinal directions

>Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:06:26 -0600
>From: Daniel Morse <[email protected]>

[ Regarding {'ev chan} et al. ]

>Notice that the conjunction-like leftover {je} does not appear here.

True.  Me, I didn't expect it there.  I don't see "northeast" as "north AND
east" as much as "north OF east."  Either view gives a good meaning, so
{'ev chan} is perfectly sensible as "chan-ward of 'ev".  But it is good to
point out it isn't there.

'Course, if I wanted to say that from my position, a river (or rivers) was
(were) located *both* to chan-ward *and* to 'ev-ward (a fact which could be
of great tactical importance when it came to planning troop movements), I
would probably say {chanDaq 'evDaq je bIQtIq tu'lu'}, (or otherwise refer
to the directions as {'ev chan je}, without the -Daq's in some other
construction form), which, as you say, is not the same as {'ev chanDaq}.

~mark

Back to archive top level