tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 26 14:56:55 1999

Re: RE: KLBC: mu'tlheghmey chu' vIgher 'e' vIqeqlI'

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:51:51 -0500 TPO <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> KLBC: mu'tlheghmey chu' vIgher 'e' vIqeqlI'.

> >compiling information already in existence, while <qon> is more about
> >recording your own ideas.
>
> yIyep pagh!
> mu'vetlh tItam
>
> bIqonpa' taHtaH De'
> bIgherDI' De' DachenmoH
>
> KGT p71 & MSN
>

> Careful there pagh
> switch those words around.
>
> before you qon, the information already exists.
> when you gher, you create the info.

I agree with others who disagree with this summary. I don't
think there is any setting in which Klingon has a verb
indicating that anyone creates information. You can compile
information (that already exists) and you can record information
(that already exists). Information, it seems, is the result of
an observation and not the result of a creative process.

You can invent. And if you write down your own ideas, you still
{qon} them. It is as if the ideas a human would say you create
are likely like the melodies that a musician "creates". They
were in the world without you and you merely were the vessel
through which they passed from that other world into this one.

I like this imagery and the cultural model it suggests.

> DloraH

charghwI'

Back to archive top level