tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 24 14:39:07 1999

gher/qon/ghItlh

jatlh DloraH:
> Careful there pagh
> switch those words around.
>
> before you qon, the information already exists.
> when you gher, you create the info.

{qon} is "record."  When you record something, you make a permanent
(indefinitely) copy of it.  Speaking into a tape recorder is {qon}.
Listening to anecdotes told by your uncle, and then writing them down is
{qon} (the writing part is {qon}).

{qon} has a SECONDARY meaning of "compose (a song)."  Klingons think of a
song as being "out there" somewhere, unrecorded by anyone.  When one
composes a song, he is picking it out of its nebulous home and "recording"
it for the first time.  All songs already exist; it's simply up to the
composer to record them.

{gher} is "compile."  Walking around a store and making an inventory list is
{gher}.  Listening your favorite CDs on your Web page is {gher}.  Listening
to anecdotes told by your uncle and then writing them down is {gher} (and
also {qon}!: it's gher because it's a collection of things you've {qon}ed).

{ghItlh} is "write, mark (upon)."  It means to make marks upon any sort of
object, be it paper, stone, or scis-- er, the ground.  We often use it to
tell WHAT marks or writing were made, but actually I'm not entirely sure
that's correct usage (certainly the object can be the marked surface, but
can it also be the subject matter or form of the markings?).

SuStel
Stardate 99896.2

Back to archive top level