tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 23 16:26:36 1999

RE: nuqneH

Welcome to the list, Regina. My name is pagh, and I am the current
Beginners' Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help new people learn
Klingon. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my
attention with a KLBC in the subject line. You'll get a response from me
with corrections on all of your Klingon and answers to your questions.

jatlh Regina:

> nuqneH
> Regina oH pongwIj'e'

Spelling: <'oH>.

> DaHjaj Homepage KLIDaq mailing Del mailinglistvam vIlaDpu'

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where your sentences begin and end.
I think I've got a pretty good idea, but using periods and commas helps.

On this list, we tend to use <jabbI'ID> or <QIn> for "mail message" and
<jabbI'IDghom> for "mailing list". It's an arbitrary convention we use
(although it does make sense), and it's certainly not authoritative, but it
does make it easer to communicate without downshifting to English as often.
When you're not sure what Klingon word to use, though, it's never wrong to
just drop in an English word.

The <Homepage KLI-Daq> should be <KLI Homepage-Daq> (- added for
readability). Posessive constructions in Klingon are a lot like the most
common way of doing it in English - just put the posessor in front and the
posessee right next to it. This is different from many other Eurpoean
languages, which use a preposition like "of" (English) or "de" (Spanish) and
reverse the order of the nouns.

For <mailing Del mailinglistvam>, I think you have the sentence order
backwards. The subject, which in this case is "mailing" or <jabbI'ID> goes
after the verb, and the object (jabbI'IDghomvam) goes before the verb. Also,
this is not the main verb in the sentence. I'm guessing the English idea was
something like "a mailing which described ...". The Klingon suffix
corresponding to "which" is <-bogh>.

DaHjaj KLI Homepage-Daq jabbI'IDghomvam Delbogh jabbI'ID vIlaDpu'.

> not tlhIngan Mail vIghItlhpu'

The one comment I have here is that the word <ghItlh> refers specifically to
the act of making marks on a surface, while <qon> refers to the process of
recording ideas. This is not something you would know from just looking up
the word "write" in the dictionary, so don't feel bad.

> vaj jaq Qaghmey tu'lu'

When using a verb as an adjective, it must follow the noun, so you would
have to say <Qaghmey jaq>. And no, your errors are not exceptionally bold;
many of them are fairly subtle. maj.

> tlhIngan Hol vIlo vIneHmo Mailing listvamDaq jIghoSpu'

maj. Don't forget the <'> on the end of <vIlo'> and <vIneHmo'>. <'> is a
full fledged letter in Klingon, so it's important to make sure not to forget
it (even though many of us do sometimes).

> jIDoy'mo' DaH jIjaH vIneH
> Qapla'

batlh jabbI'IDghomvam Damuvta'. maj.

Good first message. Keep practicing!