tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 23 08:03:24 1999

KLBC and response ...

jIja':

> qajunpaQDaj Ho'nISlu'bej 'ach wej qaDwI'vam SaHnISlaw' HoDma'.

ja' chavta'ngav:

> my translation to avoid miscommunications-until im good enough
> -->I certainly admire your audacity, however our captain apparently
> -->needs not to be concerned yet about this challenge of mine

jImugh'egh 'e' Dachaw'mo', I'd put it this way:

One certainly has to admire his audacity, but I don't think our captain
need worry about this challenger as yet.  (I prefer *I think* to
*apparently* here.)

> my response to him
> bIjatlh ghaj jIH <<qajunpaQ>>
> -->you said I show audacity
> bI lugh 'a tlhIngan jIHqu' 'e' bIlugh bISovmoH meq
> -->you are right but the reason you are is....I'M A KLINGON !!!

qavaqbe'.  qajunpaQ vIHo' 'ej tlhIngan SoHbej!

Hmm ... qa-jun-paQ, ca-jon-es.  Sounds like one of those backfit deals.

> qatlh <<qaDwI'vam>> mu' chojatlh SoH?
> -->why did you say the word <<qaDwI'vam>>?
>did you mean--> *this challenge of mine*? or *this my challenge*?
> tugh lugh vIneH jIH vaj <<qaDlI'vam>> DaHech SoH
> -->I want to be right, so... did you intend <<qaDlI'vam>>
>                                  * this challenge of yours*?

*This challenge of mine* would have been {qaDwIjvam). The possessive noun
suffix {-wI'} is used only if the possessed thing (my challenge) is capable
of speech. What I wanted was the *verb* suffix {-wI'}, which turns the verb
{qaD} (to challenge) into a noun meaning *something or someone that
challenges* (challenger). So *my challenger* would be {qaDwI'wI'}!

jIQIjtaHvIS jIbachHa'pu'chugh, mulughmoHbej pagh
If I screwed up this explanation, pagh will undoubtedly set me straight.

qa'ral

Back to archive top level