tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 21 20:29:34 1999

Re: A joke...hope I did this right...

Last time it took a long time to get a reply, it was because I had not
translated well. I'm assuming that the reason is the same this time. I'm
again including the original English, so that I can learn from the experience.

voDleHvaD ja' ra'wI'.
( A commander reports to his Emperor.)

"maQojchu''a' ?", tlhob voDleH.
(The Emperor asks, "How goes the war?" (I used "Do we wage war perfectly?")

jangta' ra'wI', "joHwI', SoHvaD jImeQta' jIcharghta' je'. HuDmey SepDaq
jaghpu'lI' vengHommey vIpejta'."
("My Lord, I have burned and have conquered in your name. I have destroyed
the towns of your enemies near the mountains.", the commander replied.)

qaghta' voDleH, " HuDmey Sepmo' jaghpu' vIghaj 'e' vISovbe' !"
("I did not know that I had enemies from the region of the mountains", the
Emperor interrupted.)

nom Qubta' ra'wI', vaj jangta' ra'wI', " joHwI', yISaHbe'. jagh chu' chaHnIS.
nom DIQaw'laH !"
(The commander thought quickly, then he answered, "My lord, do not be
concerned. They must be...new enemies. We will defeat them quickly!".)

There are some questions which I'd like answered. What is the convention on
the list for direct quotations? For inserting the Terran form of an unknown
word? And what were the worst errors in this attempt?

juDmoS

Back to archive top level