tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 18 14:00:53 1999

Re: KLBC Help with a word...

juDmoS recently received some sentences to translate.  He did a fine
job of translating them literally (with a couple of points I'll leave
to pagh for correction).  However, I'd like to do something rather
uncommon here and try to "recast" them into more smoothly idiomatic
English.

> Do'Ha' 'eqqu'mo' vemmeH repwIj, ngaj najmeH poHwIj.

Unfortunately, because I wake up so early, I don't have much time to dream.

> Qel, wa'Hu' ram jInajtaHvIS, toQ vImoj. yIpoj. nuq 'oS?

Doctor, I dreamed I was a bird last night.  What do you think it means?

> najlu'chu'DI', wanI' Dun law' yuch Dun puS.

A good dream is better than chocolate.

Okay, this last one suffers in comparison to the Klingon, but it wouldn't
be very smoothly idiomatic if I tried to make it any better. :-P

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level