tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 17 05:03:44 1999

Re: Klingon WOTD: baj (v)

jIja':

>> *yIntaHghach* I could deal with, but *yInlu'taH*?!
>> Would charghwI' or any of the other sensei-pu' do a
>> *pab poj* on this one?

jang ~mark.  ja':

> Seems pretty reasonable to me, and more verb-centric
> than {yIntaHghach} (or the simpler {yIn}, which is also
> a noun).  Stop trying to translate the English, translate
> the Klingon:

> yInlu'taH : something continues to live

> 'e' bajnISlu' : something must earn that

It's the *-lu'* in *yInlu'taH* that's throwing me.  I'm so used to thinking
of it as a sort of Klingon passive that it never occurred to me it would
work on an intransitive verb.  Are there other canon examples?   yay'lu'taH
'e' not mevlu' jay'!

qa'ral

Back to archive top level