tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 11 15:19:42 1999

FW: KLBC intro

Looks like this failed the first time.

pagh

-----Original Message-----
From: Andeen, Eric
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 5:49 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: KLBC intro

Welcome to the list, juDmoS. It looks like you know all you need to about
the KLBC stuff.

jatlh juDmoS:

> ghomraj vImuvmeH DaHjaj SangeHta' Saja'lI'.

ghommaj Damuvmo' jIbel. batlh bIghojjaj.

I don't quite understand the last bit of this sentence. I think <SangeHta'>
means "I have sent <it> to y'all", and <Saja'lI'> means "I'm telling you . .
.". I think the problem is the lack of any object for <ngeH>. Perhaps < ...
lIHmeH QIn SangeHta' ...> would make more sense. If this is not what you
meant, let me know.

> reH SIQtaH ghomraj vIQaH 'e' vIneH.

When <neH> is a verb with a sentence as its object, <'e'> is not used. This
is one of Klingon's few exceptions to the rules.

<SIQ> is "endure, bear", refering to experiencing pain or other
unpleasantness. I don't think it can work for the kind of "endure" you are
thinking of. For that, we have <taH>.

The <vIQaH> is also a bit of a problem. For one thing, it puts two main
verbs into the sentence, which is bad. What you probably want here is the
suffix <-meH>: <reH taHtaHmeH ghomraj jIQaH vIneH>. This is literally
something like "In order that this group always endures, I want to help.".

Finally, a comment not related at all to your grammar: you've joined us, so
it's your group now too. As such, <ghomvam> or <ghommaj> would be quite
appropriate.

> bochovmeH laHwIj vI'ang 'e' vIneH.

Same comment as above about <'e'> and <neH>. Also, when a subject or object
is repeated in the same sentence, it's generally better style to put it in
the first place it would go and then omit the later ones:

laHwIj bochovmeH vI'ang vIneH.

> tugh laHwIj vuDraj tuja''a' ?

DaH qaja': Doj laHlIj. pupbe'bej, 'ach Doj.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ