tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 10 07:41:32 1999

Re: KLBC: *'amantIyaDo'* qegh

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:17:23 EST [email protected] wrote:

> jIHemqu'! "The Cask of Amontillado" vImughta'! boSuch 'e' vItungHa'.
> http://www.dreamwater.com/dujhod/qegh.html
> Qaghmey law' ngaSbej, 'ach 'oHmo' jIHem.
>
> - DujHoD

In your glossary, you list "whither" as "to what place". I had
always thought that "where" had this meaning and "whither"
referred to DIRECTION rather than LOCATION. Hence the 1896
reference in A. Austin's "England's Darling": "He roams
abroad. Spying the where and whither of his foes." Similarly,
the oft repeated lover's promise "Whither thou goest, I shall
go," implies that I will follow in your direction more than the
literal being in the same place. I will go with you even as you
have no established place, but merely a direction.

It gave a way of distinguishing between "Where is she?" and
"Whither did she go?" You are in a place, but you go in a
direction. You are not in a direction and you don't go in a
place. You may go inTO a place, but you don't go in a place.

Meanwhile, if this really is a distinction in the definition, it
is lost in more modern dictionaries I've checked. Bummer. I
always liked having a question word that had that distiction.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level