tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 07 07:21:23 1999

prefix trick = bad idea

In a message dated 11/7/1999 4:00:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> tIqwIj Sa'angnIS "I must show you [plural] my heart"
>  (tIqwIj "my heart," Sa'angnIS "I must show you [plural] it")

this trick leaves the real direct object hanging by itself with no link to
the verb in the form of a prefix.  indirect objects with no direct object can
be handled this way with no loss of clarity, but even so, it looks to me like
a major confusion in an area where there is already a lot of confusion.
elegant simplicity has become tangled mess.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level