tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 06 10:10:37 1999

Who's at -Daq?

jatlh charghwI':
> Even with {pa'Daq Daleghlu'}, I would assume that {pa'Daq} is
> the location of the indefinite subject, not the object. The
> action of seeing is the action of perceiving through sensors
> which receive and interpret light. The location of the action is
> the location of the perception, not the remote location of the
> perceived object.

Though there is no context with this sentence, the following appears in The
Klingon Dictionary (page 60):

pa'Daq yaS vIleghpu'
I saw the officer in the room.

Who was in the room when the seeing had happened?  Me, or the officer?

Honestly, one's first assumption is going to be that the officer is the one
in the room, and that you see him there.  Without context, that's certainly
my first reaction.  However, it is grammatically ambiguous in English.  One
might even argue that since this sentence doesn't have any text associated
with it explaining how to interpret it, that these sorts of sentences can be
ambiguous even in Klingon.

SuStel
Stardate 99848.7

Back to archive top level