tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 05 14:54:29 1999

"entropy" (was Re: jubluH'a'?)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:50:43 -0500 Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jIja'pu':
> > tuj patDaq vumlaHbe'bogh tuj HoS 'oS "entropy".
> > reH ghurmo' pat SoQ "entropy", SoQchugh 'u', SabnIS 'u' pat.
>
> ja' pIl'o':
> >reH mu'vam vIlo'pu'Ha'. *inevitable tendency to degenerate* delmeH
> >vIlo'pu'.
>
> toH.  mu'meywIj yIlaDqa'.  bImujbe'.  SabnIS pat SoQ.
>
> >chay'  qechvam  delmoH  thlingan Hol  DI'vI' Hol mu'mey je  vIlo'chu' ?
>
> Qap "entropy".  To be precise, it is the Second Law of Thermodynamics
> which describes the idea:  entropy always increases.  Another way to
> define entropy is as the amount of disorder in a system, but that's
> less straightforward to measure than heat energy is.

This Law of Thermodynamics has a couple problems. I know that
it is scientifically accepted, but what about life and the
formation of galaxies? If disorder always wins, then why does
life spring from random chemistry and physics and why do higher
species evolve? Entropy did not yield elephants and blue whales.
And how does entropy create galaxies and solar systems.

My personal suspicion is that it is all a great dance; that all
order dissolves, not into chaos, but through chaos to some new
order later on. The only unavoidable law of physics is change.
Things will always change. Order changes to chaos. Chaos changes
to order. What is differs from what was and what will be. There
never was a Big Bang because there never was a vaccuum into
which the rest of this expanded. There was simply something very
different from what is here now. There will never be totally
dispersed heat into a homogenous, energy-free thin gas. There
will simply be something different than what is here now.

Things will always change. If you study only organized systems,
the 2nd "Law" of Thermodynamics will make sense. If you study
only chaos, then you'd make an inverse law. The problem for us
now is that where we are right now, chaos is difficult to find,
especially since our senses and our consciousness are designed
to discover order.

> -- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level