tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 04 15:56:21 1999

Re: KLBC vuDlIjvaD qatlhob

<< jatlh juDmoS:

 > ghom pong 'e' vImugh 'e' vInIDtaH.

 maj. You've got an extra <'e'> in there - the one after <pong> doesn't make
 much sense. Also, type seven suffixes like <-taH> are not allowed to go on a
 verb after <'e'>.

 ghom pong vImugh 'e' vInID.

jIyaj. But I was attempting to state that I was trying (in an ongoing
fashion) to translate the name of the group. I always thought that the 'e'
referred to the clause/word immediately preceding it as the object of the
verb immediately following it. I was not aware that they could not be
'nested'. Thanks about the -taH following 'e',  as well. Hadn't heard of that
one.

 > qay' pab.

 Do'Ha'.

Here I was implying that the grammar of this particular phrase eluded me.
"Star", coupled with the verb "Lone", (here used adjectively) is merely
another name for Texas, and not referring to a literal star. This 'pronoun
clause'(?) I attempted to clarify using Sep (region), which is the
'possessor' of the Warriors, which in turn were the possessors of the
group/association. This would then be an "N1(adj)-N2-N3-N4" construction,
translating as something akin to "Group of the Warriors of the Region of the
Lone Star". My problem with this is that 'the region of the lone star' could
be interpreted literally, and I was unsure of the grammar in this situation.

 > *teqSIS*Daq ghommaj.

 This is a sentence without a verb. Basically, it just says "Our group in
 Texas.". You want <teqSISDaq 'oHtaH ghommaj'e'>.

I DID leave out the pronoun 'oH I had intended. I think that a state of being
verb is implied in that pronoun, isn't it? Similar in construction to
tlhIngan jIH ?

 > ' Hov mobbogh ' 'oH *teqSIS* Sep pong.

 If you're going to use a <-bogh> clause, it should be <mobbogh Hov>, since
 the subject goes *after* the verb. However, <mob> means "be alone", so it
 can act like an adjective and go right after the verb: <Hov mob>.

Again, uncertainty as to the grammar in the use of this nickname.. "Star
which is alone"?

 > Hov mobbogh SepDaq SuvwI'pu' ghom , qar'a' ?
 > (Lone Star Warriors Association)

 <Hov mob> instead of <Hov mobbogh> from above . . .

 The locative suffix <-Daq> doesn't make much sense in noun phrases like
 this, and even if it did, I don't think it's what you want. You're the
 Warriors Association *of* Texas, not *in* Texas.

Again, the nickname gets me. I thought perhaps that stating we 'were in the
region of the lone star' might help in identifying the Terran/United States
region of Texas.

 Finally, the plural suffix <-pu'> is not necessary here (plurals almost
 never are), and I would leave it off.

 Hov mob Sep SuvwI' ghom

I appreciate all your help. Nice to know I was
a. Understood
b. Not *that* far off the mark

juDmoS

Back to archive top level