tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 03 12:31:43 1999

KLBG Re: Some questions

"William H. Martin" wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 09:13:29 -0800 Ben Gibson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have a couple of questions.
> > 2) chargwI'. In a recent discussion, I kept stumbling over
> > your word Qun. I cannot find it in any of my sources,
> > however I did find qun -->scold, (v) or history (n). Could
> > this have been a minor typo? The examples are:
>
> Qun = god, supernatural being

<snipped for brevity>

qatlho'qu'. muberghtaHbe' Dochvam. DaH muberghbe'.

> > 3) does this make any sense?
> >
> > “bIralchugh, pagh DarIn jatlh SoSwI’”
>
> My mom says that you can't finish anything if you are violent.
> [Is this like having her say that you can't have desert if you
> don't finish your vegetables?]

jIHagh. ghobe'. "can't," I don't understand. I avoided -laH
in the above. I thought I was saying "you finish nothing"
(pagh Data' might be closer to what I want.)

> > “toH. ‘e’ luSovchugh [Carthage] veng vavpu' ([Carthage]
> > DevwI’pu'), Quch, vIbej*. qatlh ‘oH ja’be’ SoSlI’. qatlh ‘oH
> > tIja’be’.
>
> [Note that it is a bad thing to insert sentences between {'e'}
> and the two sentences linked by it. The {toH.} here is probably
> not a good thing.] "So. If the fathers and leaders of the city
> of Carthage and a forehead knows this, I am sure it." [This
> seems a bit odd.] [The next sentence is unintelligible, since I
> know of no way to combine a imperative command and a question,
> as you have done, and gain any meaning out of it, plus you've
> used {-be'} instead of {-Qo'} in with a verb with an imperative
> prefix. I'm guessing you didn't mean to use {tI-} and perhaps
> instead meant to use {cho-} meaning "Why didn't you tell me
> this?"

Quch - (v) (be) happy. He/she/it or They be happy. That part
I was sure I got right. Obviously I didn't make that verb
distinguished enough. (sigh)

qatlh 'oH Daja'be' is closer to what I meant. But I wanted
to ephasise "why don't YOU tell them". Well obviously THAT
won't work. (qatlh 'oH Daja'be' jIH, I don't think works
either. Am I wrong in that regard as well?)

> > “qaHagh! Qaw’pu [Carthage], luSov Hoch.”
>
> "I laugh you. Carthage has destroyed, everybody knows it."

Actually, It is supposed to be choHagh. Again I wasn't sure
if that would work and hoping that someone would address it.
Also, I am confused by your use of "has" above. And I
suspect it is the same problem between transitive and
intransitive verbs, that I am having. How do you tell which
verbs are which?

> Okay. Though this doesn't say KLBC, I'm judging by the nature of
> the errors so far, this is something pagh likely would prefer to
> handle...

Still qatlho'. choQaHqu'. jItljetlh vIQub. 'ach ngoQwIj 'oH
Hop. jISuv, jIluj, jIghojtaH.

> > “DaSovbe’law’. DaSovmo’, Sanmeychaj cherchu’pu’qu’ jaghmey
> > ral, Dajatlh’a’? ‘a bIH neH qaqunbe’. qech QijlaH’be’ ‘ej
> > Dogh vItIgh. reH Hevetlh(?) jIvang. ‘bIralchugh, pagh DarIn’
> > ‘oH ngebba’ ‘ej mIghqu’ paQDI’norgh. DaHarchugh, [Napoleon
> > Bonapart] qo’ [Wellington] joH qo’ je Daja’ vIqeS.
> > lungachlaH. [Hitler] qo’ noHlaH’. yaywI’ luwIvlaH’ [Dodo]
> > [Great Auk] [Passenger Pigeon] je. bIralmo’, bIghobmo’
> > Dochmey Dawuqbej. jaS bIDachugh, pagh DarIn. (bIralchugh,
> > bISuvchugh, Dochmey Dawuq law, Dachu’ghach pIm Dawuq puS.)
> > vuD latlh ‘oH DaHarchugh, bInaj. vIt’a’vam lIjDI’ mutmey,
> > Hegh ‘ej toy’moH."
> >
> > * is used in its slang meaning. In a couple of places I have
> > done alternate translation. Those are in parenthesis. I am
> > still not very confident at this, and this is a bit more
> > liberal than I used to.
> >
> > Ben (DraQoS)
>
> charghwI'

Ben (DraQoS)