tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 02 08:26:46 1999

Re: the scope of {-be'}

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:22:08 -0500 David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "'I' before 'e,' except after 'c,' or when rhyming with 'neighbor' or
> 'weigh,' or . . . ."

Or other weird examples.

> SuStel
> Stardate 99835.8
>

> P.S.: Consider also those moments in conversation where you've just said
> something, and even as you're speaking you realize you've got to negate
> something you've just said.  You'll be very tempted to stick {-be'} at the
> end of the sentence!  Mentally, I think people alter scope as they see fit,
> when they need to.

Certainly. The question is whether or not a person has a thought
and goes through this process to form a sentence, expresses that
sentence, and a different person speaking the same language,
though perhaps having a different background, will hear this and
construct a similar thought from the sentence.

If the rules become too flexible, then it becomes quite easy for
a person to follow those rules in constructing a sentence and
have the listener also follow the same rules in constructing the
thought from the sentence, but they came up with a totally
different thought.

tugh tlhInganpu' DIpIHlI'. tlhInganpu' DaleghlaH'a'?

wej tlhIngan vIlegh.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level