tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 26 12:40:50 1999

RE: mojaq <-jaj> <-ghach> <-ta'> je

> << wa'leS vIchoHqa'ta'[tomorrow, it will again have been fixed],
>  approximately at least, teh aspect marker simply indicates that the
>  action is not ~right now~ taking place, and the \wa'leS/
> states that the /not right now\ will be tomorrow;
>  [[is my explanation syncing with the veterans' golden input?]] >>
> ==============
> qay'be'.  The Aspect marker {-ta'} has to show an action which is wholly
> completed.  The completion could be wholly accomplished already right now.

This suggests you still view completion as a process, and not a state.  Completion cannot
be "partly" accomplished.  And the relavant time reference is {wa'leS}.  "As of tomorrow,
I will have changed it again."  As of tomorrow, my act of changing it again will be
accomplished (intentionally).

> But, because of the time stamp {wa'leS} the whole action will accomplish its
> completion tomorrow.

At the time indicated by {wa'les} (tomorrow), the action will be completed.  It need not
"accomplish" that state at that time, it may be completed today, or it may already be
completed, it doesn't matter.

> {-ta'} does not preclude the action being right now, the {wa'leS} does that.

All the {wa'leS} does is indicate that, at that point in time, the action is completed.
The action could occur now, or yesterday, or whenever, so long as it's completed by
{wa'leS}.

> The {-ta'} does imply that the entire entity of action is "intentionally
> perfected."

At least we agree on that.

> Dunbogh paqmey law' vIchupta'.  tIlaD.

*aspect* vIyajchu'meH paq Dachupbogh vIlaDnISbe'.

> peHruS

-- Holtej 'utlh

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ