tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 24 15:12:22 1999

Re: SachtaH Holmaj!

In a message dated 5/13/1999 12:31:23 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Oddly enough, even though my native tongue is English, I *always*
 understood the phrase "I like you" to mean "You please me (in some
 fastion)" similar to the Spanish construction "Me gusta."

=============
peHruS notes that qujlIb follows the examples of many others learning
Klingon.  He is influenced by his native tongue, and possibly other language
studies.  When SuStel directly reminds peHruS that thinking in a manner of a
Mandarin speaker will not help him get a proper feel, peHruS feels affronted.
 I have noticed that most students of Klingon are overly affected by their
capability to speak English.  Edy is confused by Portuguese.  A few students
have been greatly affected by knowing some Russian.

In conclusion, we have many different feels for Klingon because of our past
experiences.  SuStel is quite right that we must learn the real feel of
Klingon.  Using PK (his example) is an excellent suggestion.  I sincerely
hope MO gives us lots more canon Klingon from which we get the real feel.

peHruS

Back to archive top level