tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 19 06:14:11 1999

Re: [compound questions]

There's no way to determine that these are different questions.  Even in
English, the sentence can be vague.  "Is that a targ or a cat?"  This
could mean either "Which is that: a targ or a cat?" or "Is that either a
targ or a cat?"

Personally, I don't like these compound questions at all.

SuStel
Stardate 99380.0

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
>>: "Is that a targ or a cat?"
>>: {targh 'oH'a' pagh vIghro' 'oH'a'}
>>: I use {pagh} because it cannot be both...
>>
>>{pagh} links sentences; use {ghap} "either/or" to link nouns:
>>
>> targh vIghro' ghap 'oH'a'?
>> "Is that a targ or a cat?"
>
>But that seems to be a completely different question. muHwI' seems to be
>asking which of two alternatives is correct; your suggestion just wants
>know whether it's either of them.

Back to archive top level