tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 11 20:53:25 1999

Re: Good beginner's words.

ja' Zrajm C Akfohg <[email protected]>:
>What words do you guys (and gals) deem to be the most useful and flexible?

Whenever I try to come up with a small list of core vocabulary, I fail.
I never find a good stopping point.  Numbers are important, as are all
conjunctions, most if not all adverbials, and a great many exclamations.
After chuvmey, suffixes and prefixes are almost more important than the
verbs and nouns themselves. :-)

>We just wanna be able to give each other orders ("Give me that!", "Read
>this!", "Concentrate!") ask simple questions ("Do you agree?", "Are you
>serious?") and use some exclamations ("Quickly!", "Hurry up!", "Ok!") etc.
>To give everybody (spectators and ourselves) the impression that klingon
>*can* be used in everyday life.

There's your answer -- you know what situations you're likely to want to
talk about, so *you* know best what words are likely to be useful.

>Does anybody have suggestions for additional useful words? (especially nouns)

One noun in particular is useful in beginners' conversations:  {Doch}.
{Dochvetlh vIneH!}  {nuq 'oH Dochvam'e'?}  {DochlIj vI'uchneS'a'?}

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level