tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 10 08:18:28 1999

RE: munuQbogh mI'mey

muHwI':
: > Is it allowed to use {pagh}, {'ej} etc in questions?
: > --> {bIghung'a' pagh bI'oj'a'?}
: >    "Are you hungry or (are you) thirsty?"

page:
: I'm not aware of any canon use of sentence conjunctions in questions,
but
: there is no reason to believe we can't use them that way. For your
example,
: you'd probably say <bIghung'a' qoj bI'oj'a'?>, though. <bIghung'a' pagh
: bI'oj'a'?> implies that you can't be both hungry and thirsty at the same
: time.

Although I could find no examples of {-'a'} used in a complex sentence
with
multiple clauses linked by conjunctions, I fully agree with pagh: There is
no reason to believe we can't use them that way.

I did find one example of a complex sentence with *four* clauses linked by
{-chugh} "if" together with the conjunction {qoj}:

  Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh, pagh
   ghaH SuvwI''e'.
  If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal, he is
   nothing. TKW

and two examples with {-DI'} and the conjunction {pagh}:

  pay' HIvDI' lo'wI' pagh mupDI' QIHchu' bIH
  [They] provide a damaging surprise attack or give a devastating backhand
   stroke. SP2

  HeghDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' pagh tlhIngan SuvwI' HoHlu'DI'...
  When a Klingon warrior dies or is killed... S31

But you don't necessarily need to use a conjunction.  In fact, omitting it
will make the thought more concise and, therefore, more forceful:

  DaSovbej'a'?  bISuDrup'a'?
  Are you sure [of that]?  Will you take that chance?
  ("Are you willing to take that chance?" [novel]) ST6

  cheqotlhchugh maHaghbe''a'?  cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'?  cheQIHchugh
    manoDbe''a'?
  Tickle us, do we not laugh?  Prick us, do we not bleed?  Wrong us,
   shall we not seek revenge? TKW

It's a matter of style, not grammar.

--
Voragh