tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 03 16:10:23 1999

Re: museum

Both Gen. Martok and Dahar Master Kor have made mention of the Hall of
Warriors - <SuvwI qach>, a revered structure dedicated to Klingon warriors
whose Deeds were Worthy of Song (Kang for example). Inside are the carved
statues of the Greatest of those Klingons. Klingon history is mostly
recorded in song and story, much like the Celtic and Norse peoples of
Europe. Thus a Klingon "museum" might be rendered as <(no') lut
qach/chIrgh>-"Hall/Temple of (Ancestral) Song."

quljIb
=========
On Mon, 3 May 1999, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> We are translating some texts for a German archeology museum.
>
> But what would Klingons call a museum???
>
> {Dochmey tIQ 'aghbogh qach} is a bit too long, and actually just a
> discription for "museum", perhabs an answer to {museum 'oH nuq'e'?}. By
> the way, there are not only old things being shown in a museum. (in this
> one, yes.)
>
>    To translate somethng like this, we need to get to the roots of the
> word: A museum is a building used for storing and exhibiting objects of
> historical, scientific, or cultural interest. The word comes from latin
> and originates in greek "mouseion", which means "seat of the Muses".
> wejpuH: What's a Muse?? Well, in greek and roman mythology, they are
> nine goddesses, the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, who inspire poetry,
> music, drama, etc.
>
>    Does this help? Not me! Any suggestions? Or comments? Is there
> perhabs any other word, which is not really "museum", but still conveys
> the idea of it?
>
> Quvar muHwI'

Back to archive top level