tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 18:38:20 1999

RE: Beginnerwarning

Welcome to the list, David. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help new people learn Klingon.
Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention by
putting KLBC in the subject line.

jatlh David Siqter:

> I am David Siqter from sweden

> I've read the klingon dictionary but I don't know the words and the
> grammar well yet. I'd just like to make my first official statement in
> klingon, so I will tell you something about my pet Jalmar, a parrot.

> <"Qapla'" jatlhlaH parrotwI'>

majQa'. tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHbe'bej *parrot*-wIj. ghaytan jatlhchoHchugh vaj
muHoH be'nalwI'.

Cool. My parrot does not speak any Klingon. Likely if she did my wife would
kill me.

> It say it utterly bad, though...
> I have also thaught it to say "joHwI'", but If i want to say in klingon
> that it can say bouth "Qapla'" and "joHwI'", how would I say that?

Qapla', joHwI' - "Success, my lord" seems pretty good.

> I am quite confused about the conjunction <je>, 'cause in Star Trek
> 6, when the klingon commander asks who the other hostages are he
> gets the answer <wa' tera'ngan je wa' romuluSngan> but <je> is
> according to the dictionary supposed to FOLLOW the last noun it
> joins and not to be inserted between them, or???

The dictionary is correct, and the commander is not. Of course if you watch
American (or even British) movies you will often find the English less than
perfect as well {{;-)>

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ