tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 11:37:31 1999

Re: Beginnerwarning

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 02:52:30 -0800 (PST) David Sikter
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I am David Siqter from sweden
>
> I've read the klingon dictionary but I don't know the words and the
> grammar well yet. I'd just like to make my first official statement in
> klingon, so I will tell you something about my pet Jalmar, a parrot.
>
> <"Qapla'" jatlhlaH parrotwI'>

Cool! Now here's the next phrase you need to teach him:

choje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh!

"Feed me or die!"

If that's too much just teach him:

HIje'!

"Feed me!"

> It say it utterly bad, though...
> I have also thaught it to say "joHwI'", but If i want to say in klingon
> that it can say bouth "Qapla'" and "joHwI'", how would I say that? I am
> quite confused about the conjunction <je>, 'cause in Star Trek 6, when
> the klingon commander asks who the other hostages are he gets the answer
> <wa' tera'ngan je wa' romuluSngan> but <je> is according to the
> dictionary supposed to FOLLOW the last noun it joins and not to be
> inserted between them, or???

So far as we know, that was either a mistake or some kind of
dialect that has perhaps not yet been explained. Either way,
given how many times we've seen it used following all the nouns,
it is generally accepted as correct when it follows the nouns it
joins.

> Qapla' !

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level