tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 30 13:25:46 1999

Re: Order of ordinals

In a message dated 3/26/1999 9:33:32 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< <<  I keep on not using constructions that parallel {QamvIS} and
  {torvIS} even though they, too, came from MO himself.

  peHruS

 maj.  TKW p95 - "The grammatical construction is a bit aberrant; one would
 expect QamtaHvIS and tortaHvIS.  In proverbs, grammatical shortcuts are not
 uncommon."  Unless a proverb, one shouldn't try to circumvent grammar, and
 even then, I'd avoid it if at all possible.

Good, but the real meat of the discussion, you have left out.  It was whether
to accept {wa'DIch} as an adverbial meaning "first" at the beginning of a
sentence while we have only one such example.  Please focus on this issue,
too.

peHruS

Back to archive top level