tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 30 12:31:25 1999

RE: nuqneH

Welcome to the list, Dave. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help beginners learn Klingon.
Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention by
putting KLBC in the subject line.

> nuqneH,

> I'm quite new to Klingon and I'd appreciate some help.
> (By quite new, I mean that I've read the language information in the
> dictionary and just need some experience)

qay'be'. No problem. You've come to the right place to get that experience.

> I've got a klingon translater (mu'haqwi') on my Mac but I assume that
> that'd be more of a hinderence to learning the klingon hol' than a help.

You are correct. There are several wonderful computer tools available for
learning Klingon, but they can easily become crutches and impede your
learning if you're not careful.

> I've got some experience with Latin, which always helps in learning
another
> language. ( few linguists leave home without it )

Klingon is different enough from *everything* else that no other specific
language is very useful. However, knowledge of *any* other language helps in
learning another. When you've studied another language, you begin to see all
of the strange assumptions your own language forces on you, and you can
begin to break out of them and see the world from a more flexible
perspective.

> Currently, I don't have the Klingon dictionary and would appreciate some
> advice on pronounciation. I'll be able to get hold of it again (i.e.
> borrow it from a friend who doesn't use it) some time which'll help...

It will help a lot - you really can't learn this language without the
dictionary. Keep in mind that the most important part of the dictionary is
not the word list itself, but the grammatical sketch that goes before it.
Read it once, and then read it again. Read it a few more times after that.

The best written advice on pronunciation is the first few pages in TKD. If
you need to hear how things actually *sound* to learn to pronounce them (and
a lot of people do), there are a few good resources available. There are two
audiocasettes available at bookstores: Conversational Klingon and Power
Klingon. They are somewhat more difficult to find than the books, but I have
seen them in a few places. You can also order the dictionary, the other
books and the tapes directly from the KLI
(/kli/Merchant.phtml). The KLI also has a sounds page
(/kli/sounds.html) with some good examples of spoken
Klingon.

> Oh dear.. I'm rambling

qay'be'. No problem.

> You'll hear more from me,