tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 29 10:41:23 1999

Re: HaSta

: <[email protected]> wrote:
: > Hee hee!  I just watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture on Tuesday, and it
: > seemed quite clear to me that the Klingon commander ordered {wIy cha'} and
: > then {HaS cha}.
: >
: > Somehow, Okrand decided he heard {HaSta}, and thus the word was born.  But
: > my guess is that James Doohan was imagining the syllable {cha'} or
{cha} to
: > be present in both orders.
:
: At the time, Okrand was gathering phonemes for the language. He
: only got about half of what he felt he needed, so he made up the
: other half, using the script directions for the movie, "The
: captain answered in his gutteral Klingon..." I suspect he
: recognized that every other syllable was {cha} and he tried to
: interpret them in new and interesting ways to add some variety
: to it. I didn't hear any glottal stops on any of the {cha}s,
: either.
:
: charghwI' 'utlh

Well, /cha/ is one of the Paramount writers' favorite "Klingon"
sounds/words after all.  I'm just surprised to see it overused so far back.

Just yesterday I was watching DS9 "Once More Unto the Breach" and the young
bridge officer kept saying /cha-VEY/ whenever she was given an order.  If
Okrand ever brings this into the language, he might well say it's no' Hol
for something like "Aye aye, (sir)" in contrast to ta' Hol {lu' qaH} "Yes,
sir".  We do know from TKW that the Klingons have an ancient ocean-going
naval tradition - which, no doubt, has contributed many no' Hol
expressions, mutatis mutandis, to the operation of modern spacecraft.

And from DS9 "Soldiers of the Empire," Gen. Martok said /MAK-cha/ a couple
of times when he was giving orders to the helm.  I guess the writers want
it to mean something like "Engage", "Make it so", etc.  Another naval no'
Hol-ism, or just your run of the mill Paramount Hol?

There are many other examples of /cha/ from the episodes.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level