tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 29 09:24:03 1999

Re: qul tuq

[email protected] writes:
>    I just looked at it again in the language lab, "Myths and legends".
> The first picture shown is a Klingon house (structure, building). On the
> left side you can read {qul tuq} and the translation is "A House of
> Fire" (when clicking on "more", Mac Okrand says it is an opera, and that
> tuq means Family-house not structure-house)

T'Lod:
: DaH vay' vIrur - How do we know what Okrand meant when he said that tuq
isn't
: a structure or building?  I don't think we can assume that it doesn't
mean the
: same thing until we see a lot more examples from him.

Well, if Okrand's statement in the KCD Language Lab that "{tuq} means
Family-house not structure-house" - which seems pretty clear to me that
{tuq} is a social grouping like {qorDu'} "family" - isn't enough for you,
how about:

Okrand's gloss in the Klingon for the Galactic Traveller glossary:

	tuq  tribe, house, ancestral unit (n)

(BTW, this is what John Ford call a "line" in The Final Reflection.)

Okrand's incidental comments in KGT:

	Though originally utilitarian in nature, the {Ha'quj} has taken on
	symbolic functions as well, its ornamentation representing the family
	unit or house (tuq) of its wearer. (p. 61)

	The knifesmith takes pride in designing a weapon that not only performs
	well and perfectly fits the hand of the user but that also is considered
	a work of art. The aesthetic value of the blade is directly related to
	its effectiveness, but the handle is adorned with ornamentation ranging
	from traditional designs to symbols that actually indicate ownership,
	usually by means of a family crest (tuq Degh). (p. 63)

The ancient Klingon proverb published in The Klingon Way:

	reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je
	One is always of his tribe
	("A person and his house are always together"). TKW

followed by Okrand's explanation (p.34) that {tuq} is

	"an ancestral grouping now usually translated as house"

See also how Okrand has used {tuq} in other contexts:

	pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
	Glory to you and your house
	("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly") KGT

	qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
	The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. (SkyBox S20)

N.B. {qorDu'Daj tuq} "his family's house".

	DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS
	 be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
	The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
	 seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon
	 High Council. (SkyBox S26)

N.B. {DuraS tuq} "the House of Duras}.

	According to Maltz, there are at least a couple of ways to identify a
	Klingon's house (or tuq) ... To say "Kahlor of the House of Molor" (or,
	if you prefer, "Kahlor from the House of Molor"), you'd say simply
	"Kahlor, House of Molor" {qeylor molor tuq}. If you want to be even more
	formal, the name of the father may be used as well... "Kahlor, son of
	Kahlin, of the House of Molor" is "Kahlor, son of Kahlin, House of Molor"
	{qeylor qeylIn puqloD molor tuq}.  (Expert Forum 9/97)

OTOH {juH} "home, house" is the physical structure or building {qach} in
which one dwells:

	SuvwI' juHmey rur tachmey.
	Bars resemble warriors' homes. CK

	juHwIjDaq Dochvetlh vItlhap.
	I will take that to my home. PK

	naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv.
	It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK

{qach} is sometimes generally translated as a "house":

	meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
	Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW

but here {qach} means any type of building whatsoever.  (The proverb
obviously is *not* saying that it is okay to fight in a burning factory,
barracks or store - as long as it's not specifically a house.)

T'Lod is right in that there are still some vocabulary items whose exact
meaning elude us.  {tuq} isn't one of them.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level