tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 27 10:27:44 1999

Re: choH

[HIvHe yIchoHmoH! - Alter the attack course! (ST5)]

ja' Voragh:
>Klaa's line in ST5 was pretty clear, but Okrand does seem to treat it as
>transitive elsewhere.  At the risk of building another house of cards and
>invoking the wrath of SuStel et al., one could speculate that in colloquial
>or excited speech (such as during a battle), using {-moH} on the already
>transitive {choH} adds an intensifying force, particularly in the
>imperative.  In this case, Klaa may be stressing that he wanted his
>helmsman to CHANGE the ship's course and *not* stay "steady on course".

There's no payoff in "speculating" like this.  It was a highly stressful
and time-critical moment in the movie anyway, so it would have been very
odd for Klaa to add suffixes for careful effect.  The appropriate suffix
in this case would have been {-choH}, not {-moH}, but {yIchoH} *already*
quite clearly means "change".

I'll note that there's another example of a course change which also has
a {-moH}.   TKD page 45: {maghoSchoHmoHneS'a'} "may we execute a course?"
But I don't see any pattern here.

>An analogous example might be the use of double negatives in English.

That's a reasonable thought.  Almost everyone understands them, even while
recognizing that they are substandard grammar and not good examples for a
student of English to emulate.  Putting a superfluous {-moH} on an already
transitive verb could be one of the "common errors" like leaving off {lu-}
(or it could be something else entirely).

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level