tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 12:38:39 1999

RE: RE: KLBC: an ancient battle

jIjatlh:
> <meQ> is one of those funny verbs that works both  ways: both <meQ qach> -
> "the building is burning" and <to'waQ meQ vutwI'> - "the cook burns the
> tendon" are legal. So you don't need the <-moH> here.

jatlh Lorenzo:
> You mean that meQ could be transitive OR intransitive.
> I thought that tlhInghan Hol hasn't such verbs and
> the -moH should be used:
> poS lojmIt
> lojmIt  vIpoSmoH

> please can you explain.

For the most part, Klingon verbs are quite well behaved, and cannot have
both transitive and intransitive meaning for the same thing. Your example of
<poS lojmIt> and <lojmIt vIpoSmoH> is absolutely correct, and could not be
written any other way.

<meQ>, however, is an exception. There may be a few others, possibly
including <choH> (we're not sure about that one), but there are certainly
not very many. You can generally assume that a verb will behave one way or
the other. Often the hard part is figuring out *which* way.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ