tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 03:51:21 1999

Re: Order of ordinals

In a message dated 3/25/1999 5:08:20 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< < This is an example we've argued about a lot. So far as we know,
 >  this is a mistake, unless he is using {wa'DIch} adverbially to
 >  mean "first seen" as opposed to "first Klingon ships".  >>
=========================
And, how can we claim that MO makes mistakes?

Of course, he has made mistakes.  At least, I cannot reconcile {gan} as
anything but a mistake for {qan} and {Hagh} as anything but a mistake for
{HaD} (both from TKD).  There appear to be mistakes in whether a word is a
noun or a verb, listed on one side of the dictionary one way and on the other
side another way.

Here is where I stand:  Until MO gives us a reason to believe that he really
means {wa'DIch} is okay to use adverbially by explaining it to be so, or by
using it in other sentences enough that we know he intends it to be so, I will
refrain from copying this construction.

peHruS

Back to archive top level