tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 03:45:15 1999

Re: Order of ordinals

In a message dated 3/25/1999 5:08:20 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< I'm not sure they do. I kinda hope they don't. Meanwhile, the
 only way I can understand this particular example is if ordinals
 worked adverbially, so we could say things like:

 "First, life honorably. Second, die with honor."

 By adverbially, I mean that ordinals (-DIch} could function
 somewhat like {-logh}, which is adverbial.

 This is PURE speculation:

 wa'DIch wejlogh lojmIt yItlhaw'.
 cha'DIch HIrI'.
 wejDIch yI'el.

 We have exactly ONE canon example that suggests this would work.
 We have no explanation and no confirming example. I am NOT
 promoting this as accepted use because I feel like what we gain
 is small enough and could be accomplish with an easy enough work
 around:

===============================
How many examples do we need?  I've seen the KLI corpus come to some so-called
concrete conclusions based on scanty evidence.  Personally, I hope we get lots
of canon tlhIngan Hol.

I winced terribly when I first encountered {wa'DIch} obviously taking the
position of an adverbial.  I thought this must not be MO's concoction.

Now, I see that skybox cards are a place where new grammar might be
introduced?!?  Since this form is from MO, may we use it?  I understand the
reluctance.  I keep on not using constructions that parallel {QamvIS} and
{torvIS} even though they, too, came from MO himself.

peHruS

Back to archive top level