tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 25 15:19:25 1999

Re: choH

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:25:53 -0800 (PST) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' DloraH:
> >Do we have canon for [ choH ]?
> >Is it transitive or intransitive?
>
> {HIvHe yIchoHmoH} from Star Trek V seems to say it's intransitive.
> {ghopDu' choHpu' Qe'} from KGT seems to say it's transitive.

There are some words in Klingon that get used both ways. It is
VERY common in English and more rare in Klingon. I'm happier
when it doesn't happen in Klingon. Meanwhile, remember that the
intransitive example you quote is from Klaa, who is from the
sticks. A LOT of what he says is of dubious grammar. He don't
talk so good. I take his examples with a grain of salt. The news
announcer who put {je} between two nouns was of equally dubious
respectability.

> >just want to be certain.

Few things in life are certain. I'll tend to use it
transitively, just because there are more examples of that, and
because the one counterexample is from the speech of a Klingon
hick. Good biceps. Nice forehead. Cool girlfriend. But his
grammar is not exemplary.

> Do'Ha'.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI' 'utlh