tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 23 16:16:13 1999

RE: Cardassians, Bajorans, and Odo (oh my!)

jatlh charghwI':

> nISwI'Daj lel 'ej nuHqoqlIj Qaw'. mon. QIt Qeq 'ej Dura'. jatlh
> yImI'!

jatlh quljIb:

> I'll translate what I understand and you fill in the blanks, 'K?

Not if I get there first. I don't think charghwI' will mind, but if he does,
I've got a meqleH next to my desk.....

> It [the "war umbrella"] takes out his one-who-hinders(?) and destroys
> your so-called weapon. Slowly, (??) and he commands you.

The unstated subject here is not the war umbrella; it's someone who is does
not have much respect for the war umbrella. The war umbrella is the nuHqoq.

For the "one who hinders", think a bit about the meaning of <nIS> (look in
the addendum to the dictionary as well as the main body) and Treknology.
What are Klingon weapons called? The word <nISwI'> is listed in KGT as
"disruptor". <Qeq> also comes from KGT, and means "aim".

So an assailant takes out his disruptor and destroys your so called weapon.
He slowly aims his disruptor and commands: ...

This meaning of <mI'> is also from KGT. To imagine what it means, replace
the disruptor with a revolver aimed near your feet. What does the old cowboy
say to you at this point???

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ