tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 23 11:40:08 1999

Re: Hand of Kahless

Liam Boyle wrote:

: I'm stuck, would the hand of kahless just simply be
: bID qeylIS or is there a word missing from this?

The nouns go the other way 'round .  In tlhIngan Hol this is {qeylIS ghop}
"Kahless' hand".  ({bID} is "half", listed next to "hand" in the glossary.)

This is the famous klingonaase oath *Kahlesste kaase!* "Kahless' hand," an
referring to the (now unofficial) story of the demise of Emperor Kahless,
who died with his hand tied to the controls of his ship in a battle against
the Romulans.

Incidentally, I actually heard General Martok exclaim in English "By the
hand of Kahless!" in the last DS9 episode to feature Kor.  It's nice to
know that someone on the Paramount writing staff has read John Ford's "The
Final Reflection".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons