tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 14:57:05 1999

Re: 'Iv jIH?

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 20:54:25 -0800 (PST) Zrajm C Akfohg
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 20-Mar-99, Alan Anderson wrote:
> > ja' maHvatlh:
> >>
> >> So <latlh> and <Hoch> is used in the same way?
>
> > Well, we don't know for sure if there's a difference when {latlh} is
> > used before a singular or a plural noun, and we've not seen it used
> > after a noun, so I don't think we can say it acts the same as {Hoch}.
> > {latlh} isn't really a quantifier the way {Hoch} is, so it's unlikely
> > that it would act the same way.
>
> So {Hoch} could follow a noun? How does that work? What does it mean if it
> is put that way?

Consider that in addition to having a number-like use where it
preceeds a noun, {Hoch} is also a noun that can be used in a
normal noun-noun construction so that {Huch Hoch} means "All of
the money" or "The money's all".

Okay, maybe a better example:

Hoch tlhInganpu' - All Klingons
Hoch tlhIngan - Each Klingon
tlhIngan Hoch - All of the Klingon

> > -- ghunchu'wI'
>
> /maHvatlh
>
> --
>    Zrajm C Akfohg    www.come.to/dark   Tel:018-500911
>    Uppsala, Sweden   [email protected]    ICQ:16769663

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level