tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 11:05:13 1999

Re: Cardassians and Bajorans

quljIb, future Poet Lauriate of the Klingon Empire, wrote:

: Do these terms seem correct?
:
: qarDaSIya     -  Cardassia

{qarDaS} Cardassia is listed in KGT.

Okrand further writes in KGT (ca. p. 141) that older forms ending in {-ya'}
of *some* planet names are still in use in more formal speech - e.g.
{'orghenya'} and {'orghen} Organia, {DenIbya'} and {DenIb} Denebia - but
that the shorter forms are gradually replacing them in common parlance.
Both {DenIbya' Qatlh} and {DenIb Qatlh} "Denebian slime devil" are heard BTW.

Note however that not all such short planetary names have longer {-ya'}
equivalents, and vice versa.  {vulqan} Vulcan, {tera'} Terra/Earth, and
{Qo'noS} Kronos are always short in Klingon, while {Sorya'} Sauria is long
and appears in {Sorya' HIq} "Saurian brandy".  ({Sorya'} may have been
preserved because {Sor} means "tree", a common word in its own right, and
might be confusing not to mention amusing.)

Whether *{qarDaSya'} is also heard is unknown at this point.  I wouldn't be
surprised, but we haven't seen it in anything written by Okrand.

: qarDaSngan    -  Cardassian (sentient race)

Correct, this form is also listed in KGT.  For example:

	qarDaSnganpu' HIvpu' tlhInganpu' qar'a'?
	qarDaSnganpu' HIvpu' qar'a' tlhInganpu'?
	The Klingons have attacked the Cardassians, right?  KGT

Since there are some longer {-ya'} synonyms of planet names, there are also
two forms of the derived gentilic:

	'orghenya'gan		'orghengan 	"an Organian"
	DenIbya'ngan		DenIbngan  	"a Denebian"

*{qarDaSya'ngan} is theoretically possible, but it does seem a mite long
for common Klingon usage.

: qarDaSngan wo'-  Cardassian Empire (Cardassian Union??)

Okrand once used {wo' tay'} to facetiously translate "United Kingdom" for a
British publication.  You should also consider using {DIvI'} "federation,
organization, association, league, union": {qarDaS DIvI'} or {qarDaSngan
DIvI'}.	{boq} "alliance, bloc, coalition" is another possibility.  Cf.
Okrand's discussion in HolQeD 4.4.

We really need to know more about Cardassian (and Klingon) history,
government and politics before we know which is more accurate *in Klingon
terms*.

: beyjor     - Bajor

I've also seen {ba'jor} as well as {bajor}, which I prefer as it's the
simplest.  {beyjor} too closely apes the English for my taste.
Incidentally, the pronunciation of "Bajor" varies somewhat depending on the
actor.  Besides, we wouldn't expect Klingons to pronounce it exactly the
way natives do.  We'll have to wait for Okrand on this one to be 100% certain.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level