tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 16:24:10 1999

RE: KLBC: Sayings of the Sea

jatlh quljIb:

> This my attempt at translating the line found on the
> USS Defiant's dedication plaque.

> chIjmeH Hov Duj'a' neH vIneH.

If I remember correctly, it is something like "All I want is a tall ship and
a star to steer her by". If that's the case, you came very close. You are
missing a conjunction - you want the ship *AND* the star, so put <je> after
the objects. I'd probably also reverse the the <chIjmeH Hov> and the
<Duj'a'>, and I would certainly add a comma for clarity:

Duj'a', chIjmeH Hov je neH vIneH.

> This next one is completely my own.

> Hovmey ghojlu'chugh 'ej SuSmey gholu'chugh reH He Sovlu'.

maj. There's a typo in the second <ghoj>, but the rest is good. This is a
good use of <-lu'> that's rather awkward in English, but very clear in
Klingon.

> Enjoy!
> quljIb
> (who wants to be the Poet Lauriate
> of the Klingon Empire when he grows up!)

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian
(who doesn't want to grow up)

Back to archive top level