tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 14 23:27:55 1999

Re: Aspect

In a message dated 3/14/1999 10:56:59 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Your understanding of aspect obviously differs markedly from that of many
 other people, including those who wrote the dictionary definitions you've
 presented on occasion.  Some of the terms intrigued me, and in order to
 try to see where you're getting your unusual interpretation of what the
 word "aspect" means, I've been reading up on the subject.  Nowhere have I
 found any reference to aspect being connected with an *event*.  Even the
 "inchoative" aspect, which would appear at first glance to have something
 in common with the Klingon verb suffix {-choH}, is defined as referring
 to the *state* of having recently begun, not the change in state itself. >>

DumISmoH DIvI' Hol mu' {perfect} mu' {perfective} je 'e' vISIv.  rapbe'.
"completion" 'oS mu' {perfect}; "internal temporal constituency of a situation
or event" 'oS {perfective}.  "continuation" 'oSbej mu' {imperfective} HochHom.
'ach "internal structure of the activity expressed by the verb" 'oSbej je
{imperfective}.  chaq ghu' {imperfective} Dalo'chu'.  maHvaD QIj TKD RLTrask
je:  "In English, perfective aspect is chiefly expressed by the simple past-
tense form (A Dictionary of Grammatical Terms in Linguistics, p.204).

peHruS

Back to archive top level