tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 14 13:19:16 1999

weights and measures (was Re: Ternary speculation)

ja' Voragh:
>2.  Marc Okrand mentioned in his interview with charghwI' that a {cheb'a'}
>weighed 9 times a regular {cheb}...

I didn't see any reference to weight in the interview published in HolQeD.
I also don't know that the {rap wa' cheb'a', Hut cheb je} equivalence has
been officially explained, either.  The note from Okrand on the newsgroup
confirmed the 'uj'a' measurement:

| An <'uj> is a unit of linear measurement, roughly 35
| centimeters; an <'uj'a'>, or "big uj" (<'uj> plus the
| augmentative suffix <-'a'> "big") is nine times as long, or
| nine ujes, somewhat over three meters.

But the best we know about the cheb/cheb'a' relationship is a secondhand
report from charghwI' that "most" units of measure have a related unit
with the {-'a'} suffix meaning "9 times".  The precision of that general
"9 times" is not clearly specified either.  It's at least possible that
the cheb'a':cheb ratio is not exactly 9:1, though I have to keep in mind
that Klingons are never approximate.

>This would be a good question for Maltz, who was a science officer after all.

I hold some hope for the publication of a Klingon mathematics primer. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level