tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 14 12:33:36 1999

Re: Klingon Phonetics

>  Now to *pIqarD. the exception for the rule is that it's a name. Names
>don't obey to rules. Look at the names in Hamlet. Others I've seen are
>*qerq (Kirk), *qorD (Korrd), *be'elana (B'Elanna), *'aleqSanDer
>(Alexander), *ghIrIlqa' (Grilka), *tlha'a (Klaa), etc.

I don't see why names should be special when borrowed. Even Worf's name
becomes <warIv> to conform to the restrictions of tlhIngan Hol. Look at
your transcription of Grilka. To conform to the Klingon language's rule
about consonents, the <I> was inserted between <gh> and <r>. So why
didn't Picard become <pIqarID> or <pIqar>?

Johnny B.