tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 12 05:23:57 1999

RE: Aspect

> What I said in passing was that I've heard phrases like "for my father" or
> "because of the wind" referred to as "adjects".  I didn't intend for
anyone
> to go off on a tangent chasing down the term.  Whether or not it's a
"real"
> term in contemporary grammar is irrelevant to the task of coming to a good
> understanding of Klingon noun suffixes.

I believe the term you're looking for here is 'adjunct.'  In the formal
theory of linguistics where I do my work, it describes a constituent phrase
that is not an argument (that is, is not receiving thematic roles) from
another element.  So, a sentence like "I made coffee for my father," the
verb "make" assigns roles to the subject, "I", and the object, "coffee."
Although the PP "for my father" is modifying the verb "make," it's not one
of its arguments.

-- Holtej 'utlh

Back to archive top level