tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 11 21:59:40 1999

Re: -moH Curiousity {was Re: deep structures}

In a message dated 3/11/1999 11:18:56 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< >  peqIm.  wot {ghojmoH} *direct object* yIngu'!  ghojwI'pu' 'oH'a' pagh
 > tlhIngan
 >  Hol 'oH'a'?  ghojwI'pu' ghojmoH'a' ghojmoHwI' pagh tlhIngan Hol ghojmoH'a'
 >  ghojmoHwI'?
 >
 >  peHruS

 vuDwIj neH qaja'.
 Do'Ha' tlhe'bogh chovnatlhmey rurchu'bogh *canon* mu'tlheghmey'e' DISovbe'
'e'
 vIHar.

 chovnatlh vIleghchugh: {puq ghojmoH qup},
      {puq} 'oH *direct object*'e' 'e' vIwuq.
 loQ rur {HIQoymoH!} "Let me hear (something)!" (TKD p. 38).

 chovnatlh vIleghchugh: {puqvaD tlhIngan Hol ghojmoH qup},
      {tlhIngan Hol} 'oH *direct object*'e' 'e' vIwuq.  >>
===============
I answer my own question:  I can visualize students being caused to learn; I
cannot visualize a language being caused to learn anything.  For this analysis
alone, I would suspect that the best Direct Object of {ghojmoH} is
{ghojwI'pu'}.

If I follow through on the pattern, I get {tlhIngan HolvaD ghojwI'pu' ghojmoH
qup}.  But, since we're not doing anything for the benefit of {tlhIngan Hol},
ostensibly, the only way I can see the phrase {tlhIngan HolvaD} fitting into a
sentence like this is if we are allowed to consider it an Indirect Object or
*Second Object.  Some folks have talked about ditransitivity.  I do not know
if this fits into such a pattern.  I just feel that the Direct Object of
{ghojmoH} has to be someone who can be caused to learn.

Comments?

peHruS

Back to archive top level